5 (Inexpensive) Ways to Upgrade Your Holiday Recipes
This year, why not impress guests by going the extra mile and putting some simple, but special touches on ordinary holiday dishes. Easily transform your beverages, side dishes, main courses and desserts into impressive and tasty creations with a few creative and inexpensive fixes!
1. With a Cherry on Top
Dress up your drinks, main dishes and desserts by adding fruit!
- Pretty pomegranate seeds or muddled cranberries dropped into drinks or mixed into spreads will give a whole new festive look and flavor to these simple staples.
- Lemon and orange rinds beautifully garnish main courses.
- Add raisins, dried apricots, figs or cherries in with your salads, meats or dips to complement savory flavors!
2. Herbs & Spices
Adding fresh herbs and spices will not only intensify flavors, but also improve the presentation of your ordinary holiday dishes.
- Rosemary and sage are great complements to veggies and meat.
- Add mint and basil to holiday cocktails for extra refreshment.
- Don’t forget to include favorite holiday spices like cinnamon and nutmeg to deserts and drinks!
3. Stuff It
Take your culinary creativity to the next level and stuff your holiday meats!
- Surprise guests as they cut into their holiday roast and find simple, inexpensive ingredients mixed in!
- Fill your main course with mixtures including cranberries, nuts, cheese, spinach, caramelized onions or apples.
4. The Brighter the Better
To wow guests and taste buds, use colorful veggies and fruits to make the perfect holiday side dish.
- Try roasting carrots, beets, sweet potatoes and zucchini for a bright and beautiful medley.
- If making a salad, add in anything and everything! Radishes, shredded carrots, cranberries, avocado, sprouts, oranges and lemon will brighten up plates — and the holidays!
5. Sweet & Savory
To sweeten things up, try adding simple sugary toppings to your savory dishes.
- Drizzle honey or agave nectar on top of dips and cheeses. Then pair with crackers and fruit for the ultimate holiday treat!
- Sprinkle brown sugar over sweet potatoes and carrots to enhance their already subtly sweet flavor.